Wednesday 25 January 2012

Facebook and Real-Life

    Recently a Facebook friend of mine changed her status from "Married" to "Single".
It turned from a simple status change, to absolute chaos. People posted "What's wrong? Are you okay? What happened?"   My friend responded that her husband had been cheating on her and had left her for another woman.

     Instead of her Facebook friends supporting her and sending her messages of caring and encouragement, it turned into a bitchfight. His mother was posting "My son wouldn't do anything of the sort", and my friend replying with "Well your son, my husband, told me himself."
    
     Which brings to light, yet again, the issue of Facebook and whether we should be posting our personal lives on Facebook for all to see - as some would say, "Airing our dirty laundry".
Some say that it's wrong to vent on Facebook, that it's a breach of privacy and immoral.
I am not one of those. As those on my friends list will know, I'm a big fan of venting on Facebook.
I'm conversationally-challenged, but I'm very good at typing my feelings out and posting them.
    
     But I can also see the other side of the fence.
I am adopted, but my adoptive mother HATES people knowing. If I want to have a rant on Facebook about my birth family, or about being adopted, I have the worry that Mum will see my statuses (she's no longer on Facebook thank goodness) and get upset. There's always the chance that someone will get upset with what you post.
     But Facebook can be a great venting ground. It's a great place to get your frustrations out and seek some emotional support. I've never really been one to hide how I feel - if I have a problem, or an issue, I'm more than happy to seek support on Facebook.

     What do you think? How do you feel about people venting on Facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment